Sunny-Side-Up is a new weekly column celebrating clear blue skies, fancy bookmarks and the snooze button. In other words, expect book/film reviews, DIY crafts and easy recipes for a lovely weekend.
Why spend on fancy decorations and knickknacks when you can make them yourself? These two simple DIY projects are ideal for picnics and parties, and you’d be surprised at how much fun they can bring!
– washi tape
– a pair of bamboo skewers
– art paper
– thin marker pen
1. Cut out a piece of twine that’s roughly 2-3 inches longer than the cake’s diameter.
2. Cut out a piece of art paper that’s 4cm x 6cm. Stick washi tape around the paper’s perimeter and trim the edges. Half of the tape’s width should go on the front; the other half on the back. Align the center of the twine with that of the paper and hide the twine inside the strip of washi tape at the top. And adorn the card with your best handwriting.
3. Cut out strips of art paper; 1.5cm x 3cm, and washi tape in strips of 6cm. Carefully align and paste washi tape over the art paper. Let the tape run on from the front to the back, while hiding the twine inside the tape. Work outwards, starting from the center of the twine. Cut the strips into triangles and be careful not to cut into the twine.
4. Leave about 1 inch of twine at each side and tie it to the blunt end of a satay stick. Just stick them into the cake and… tadah!
– black cardstock paper/black felt cloth
– bamboo skewers
Making these preppy mustaches can’t get any simpler. Download, print and cut out as many mustaches as you like. Trim away the sharp ends of the skewers and tape them to the mustaches. Free mustache templates may be downloaded here and here. Have fun!